Under Angel Wings

  

Monday, June 29, 2009

An Unexpected Gift

Yesterday was an amazing day. On Saturday I was happily busy getting together some things to give various friends at church on Sunday: a birthday gift for my deacon sister, a photograph and a book for one woman who had requested them, and another set of photograph and book for a woman friend who is ill, along with a card to send her prayers and best wishes.

I was so happy to be taking these things to my dear friends, and I was feeling that special glow of the giver. Do you know what I mean?

When I saw the expressions of happiness on the faces of those receiving my offerings I was doubly happy. What a blessing it is to give!

My husband and I were sitting in our seats, waiting for the service to begin, when in walked John and Kathy, a couple who I had not seen in church for awhile. I was so excited to see them, I just jumped up and gave them both a huge welcoming hug. I was so glad to have them at church with us again!

After hugging Kathy, I looked down and saw that she was wearing the most gorgeous necklace. I was immediately struck by the bright, sparkling, heavenly colors of the crystals, then I saw the incredible cross and I was amazed by it. It is made of crystal prisms that reflect all of the other colors, and it has a silver cross imbedded in the center.

I told Kathy how beautiful it was, and she said she had made it. Thinking that she might be making them to sell, I told her I would love to order one and pay her for it, whatever she asked. She just smiled, and we sat down to get ready for the service.

During coffee hour, Kathy came up to me, and I could see by the look on her face that she was experiencing some strong emotion. She started talking, and holding up her hand, and the necklace was nestled in her palm. My heart began to constrict when I realized that she was giving the cross to me...


My mind was tumbling, as I tried to grasp what she was trying to say. She wanted to thank me, I think, for the warm greeting of love I had given them before the service, and she told me how much it meant to her. By this time I was feeling all the conflict of the receiver of a spontaneous, unplanned gift, especially a gorgeous gift handmade and obviously loved by the giver.

Some kind of confused protest started coming forth from my lips, but she would have none of it. I realized immediately that to accept her gift was the kindest, most loving thing I could do.
I put it on, and wore it for the rest of the day, all the while trying to think of some way to reciprocate. Sometime, and in some way, God will open a door for me to do something so special for someone else.

The hardest thing is that Kathy mentioned to someone yesterday that they were going to move away, and I didn't find out until after they had gone. I am so saddened to think that we might not see John and Kathy again, but I will always have Kathy's Cross to remind me of her gift of true, Christian love.

Proverbs 18:16 A gift opens the way for the giver and ushers her into the presence of the great.






1 comment:

I Can Only Imagine said...

Dearest Sister Sylvia,

A gift is an unexpected blessing. Kathy showed love and generosity, patterned after the greatest gift we have ever received - salvation through the crucifixion of our dear Lord Jesus Christ. Smile, and accept the wonderful gift you were given. With much love and knowing that God has and will continue to bless you mightily. ~ Martha